For those of you that love four wheeling as much as I do you know that there are so many different aspects to four wheel driving as well as choosing and maintaining your vehicle. In fact many times we start out with one vehicle and continue to build it up over time making it the most amazing and awesome 4×4 that we can imagine. More times than not we also end up spending a lot more money on the build of the vehicle than the actual vehicle value! But hey it all comes with being a 4×4 lover and knowing what you want and how to make your four wheeling experiences stand up to your expectations. We thought for our first post we would provide some interesting facts about the 4×4 world and everything that encompasses it!
- The word 4×4 originated in 1940 when it was used to describe North American military vehicles
- The very first 4 wheel drive vehicle was made in 1903 by Jacobus & Hendrick-Jan Spijker
- Both SUVs that offer 4×4 and four wheel drive vehicles have the fastest grwoing production rates in the world as of now
- Four wheel drive describes a vehicle that has power from the engine going to ALL 4 heels instead of just two like standard vehicles. This engine power in turn makes the vehicle a lot more powerful!
- Land Rovers and Jeeps take the top spots for the best and most coveted four wheel drive vehicles
- Most 4×4 vehicles are equipped with a high and low gear box so that they can drive slow or fast depending on the terrain they are on
- Because of the different type of suspension on a four wheel drive vehicle compared to that of a regular 2WD vehicle there is more space between the wheels and the terrain which helps the 4×4 navigate better
These are just a few interesting facts about 4×4 vehicles and how they have developed over the years. While there is a lot to explore and knowledge to aquirre when diving into the 4×4 world we thought for those of you starting out this would be a nice introduction. One thing we think is for certain is that once you dive into the 4×4 world you will wonder why it took you so long to take interest in it. Its adventurous, fun and always a good time!